Saturday, May 22, 2021

Maria Stayed


Beautiful Maria will be 17 years old in two weeks. She’s arthritic, and blind, and has outlived two companions. 

In January of 2020 we lost her baby sister to a stroke. My husband and I had nothing really to discuss. We both knew we would not get another cat. Or even a pair of kittens. At the time, Maria still had her sight, but she was old and slowing down. It would not be fair to bring youthful spunk into her life. Liveliness that would jump on her and want to play. She did not have the strength or agility to chase and discipline another young companion. 
 
Besides, given her obvious frailty we were not sure how long she would be with us. Grief and old age could mean that she would be joining her loved ones, Gentle Horatio and Sweet Kiwi, across the rainbow bridge soon enough. 
 
In March, a global pandemic hit. By April, I was working full time from home. In May, I noticed that Maria’s eyesight seemed to be failing. And in June, our vet confirmed that she was going blind. 
 
Over time, Maria and I have developed a routine. Packing a lunch for “Daddy” every morning means a snack. Having me around means getting fed small meals throughout the day. Walks together, down the hallway to the home office are a nice way to start the day. 
 
Maria spends most of her time sleeping on the couch. She has learned the voices of colleagues through Zoom meetings and will come and lay by my feet. I am not Maria’s favorite person, but through this strange year we have brought each other comfort. This is not what I expected. 
 
Maria stayed.




If you enjoy my blog and would like to follow me on Facebook, I can be found at The Reluctant Survivor.


No comments:

Post a Comment