Sunday, May 15, 2022

Micah 6:8

 

And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” (ESV)

In January I joined a task force at work dedicated to the support of students who are English Language Learners. They had begun the work the previous year. The focus is on support of students who are English language learners. Students who are in every class. Students who are trying to navigate the enrollment process. Students who are trying to understand our institutional policies. All through the “filter” of English being a foreign language.

In April we were notified that our group had been nominated for, and would receive, this year’s Social Justice Award. “Created in 2019 to honor the college’s deep social justice roots, the Social Justice Award recognizes individuals, groups, departments, or initiatives that promote values such as commitment to equity and diversity or the advancement of human rights and social justice.” (From notifying letter).

To say the least, I was more than surprised. I was speechless. To receive such an award was, and is, both humbling and a great honor. Having been with the group only a few short months it was difficult to see how my small contribution could lead to having my name on this award. But this group is amazing. They welcomed me with openness and excitement. My project for the spring semester was to research best practices at other community colleges. I was able to contribute something. And I look forward to continuing our work in the fall semester.

I am honored to work at a college that has open admissions. A college that offers an opportunity to anyone who wishes to pursue an education. A college that serves the Merrimack Valley of Massachusetts, with its gateway cities and large immigrant populations. In my roles as Director of Compliance and Student Grievance Officer I strive to support students along their educational journey.

I have the words “Micah 6:8” written on the whiteboard in my office. It is there to remind me of my calling. Of my purpose. On Saturday we were presented with our award at the 60th annual graduation ceremony. It was there that I was reminded once again that my God calls me to “do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly” with Him.



 

If you enjoy my blog and would like to follow me on Facebook, I can be found at The Reluctant Survivor.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment