Tomorrow I leave for San Francisco to participate in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. I’m both anxious and excited. I know I’ve shared my anxiety over the Golden Gate Bridge, but I did a Google search and discovered it’s really not that bad. The walkway is a wide sidewalk. In fact, reading about the bridge made it sound like a public park. I looked at pictures of walkers and bicyclists and thought “I can do that.”
I am also anxious about traveling. It’s not a post 9/11 anxiety about flying. In fact, it has nothing to do with the trip itself. It’s a “I don’t want to miss my flight” anxiety. But one of the things that I’ve learned about travel is that it’s not a big deal. I’ve missed flight connections and still got to where I was going. I’ve had flights canceled, was able to rebook my hotel room, and rescheduled my flight for the next day. Beyond that, the trip isn’t vital to anything. Except maybe seeing my friends. The truth is: I’m fine once I’m sitting at the gate waiting to board.
The other thing I’ve learned about travel is that it’s fairly easy to get around. I’ve done enough business travel that I know how to navigate to the taxi queue, grab a cab, and get to my hotel. In this electronic age I’ve already received confirmation emails, reminder phone calls, and been able to print out everything 24 hours in advance. I’m good to go. Tomorrow just has to arrive.
However, I think more than anything I’m excited. I’m excited to see my friends (teammates). I’m excited to be walking again. I’m happily (instead of anxiously) anticipating the physical challenge ahead. And I’m excited that our efforts have meaning. The money raised goes to research, education, detection, support, and treatment. As little as $150 means an uninsured woman gets a mammogram. Additionally, the money raised helps a newly diagnosed woman (or man) get the x-rays and lab work that is needed to determine treatment. An average of 80% of funds raised stay in the area where the event takes place. The remaining 20% goes to care programs in all 50 states, as well as national research programs, to help ensure adequate funding for the fight against breast cancer. Source: www.avonwalk.org. It is exciting to help fund the Avon Foundation and the fight against breast cancer.