Saturday, April 26, 2014

Colossians


 
 
I went to church on Easter Sunday. I don’t attend church every week, but I probably visit once a month. I usually go with my mother to the church where I grew up. But for Easter we were with my in-laws and went to their home church. The pastor spoke on Colossians 3:1-4. However, while reading the passage my eye caught the two verses further down in the chapter. Verses 23 & 24.

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. Colossians 3:23-24 ESV

Thursday I was scheduled to take my friend Linda to her weekly appointment. However, she had just received news that the chemotherapy was not working and her doctor pulled her out of the trial. I am heartbroken that the chemotherapy didn’t work. But I was also sad that I would not see her on Thursday. Her daughter encouraged me to reach out, and so after a phone call and a few exchanged text messages, Linda and I made plans to get together on Thursday anyway.
I showed up at her house with coffee, of course. What I found was my friend; a woman willing to face whatever is “next” in this journey. We talked some about what had happened. We talked about her children. She showed me pictures of her grandchildren. And we talked about our faith.
She wondered if she had already fulfilled God’s purpose for her life or if that purpose is yet to come. I think our purpose is right here and now. When I reflect on all of the events in my life and how they brought the two of us together I am truly overwhelmed by God’s grace and love for me. Linda is a blessing in my life. Her faith keeps her strong, and as she tells her daughter Tina, “you just have to stay positive.” Her life is serving God right here. Right now.
I carry her lesson with me. I want to know that I am fulfilling God’s purpose for my life. Right here. Right now.




If you enjoy my blog and would like to follow me on Facebook, I can be found at The Reluctant Survivor. And on Twitter @relucsurvivor.

1 comment:

  1. While we live if we are committed to God then we are able to fulfill His purposes. Our fulfilling of His will ends when He calls us home. While we are here we must be committed to doing His will and then we know we belong to Him.

    ReplyDelete