Monday, December 12, 2016

The Darkness of Advent

There are periods of life when we enter a time of darkness. Sometimes it is nothing we do. Sometimes it is not something we choose. Sometimes it just happens. We find ourselves in a place where life is messy. So we pull back. It’s not intentional. It’s not meant to slight anyone. The fact is, it just happens.

At this time of year we are encouraged to stop and reflect. Reflect on the year that was. Reflect on the year to come. Those pesky New Year resolutions are just around the corner. It is also the time of year that is literally the darkest hours in the northern hemisphere. And it is this time when we begin a season of celebration.

Advent is the traditional time leading up to Christmas. It is during this darkest season that we wait in anticipation of the birth of Christ. We look forward to longer daylight hours. We celebrate the coming of the New Year and new beginnings. It is somehow appropriate that we wait in the dark.

Please, dear reader, do not get me wrong. I am not depressed. I have not gone through some personal, horrible tragedy. While I have been away from posting, it is because I have been busy. Busy with work at a job I love. Busy with family, whom I adore. Busy with living!

Thinking about this time of year; thinking about the darkness of Advent, I am thankful for the time. I am also invigorated to think that a New Year is just around the corner. I have the opportunity to set new goals or recommit to goals that never truly went away. They were just set aside. Set aside for a time that feels like darkness, but is really in anticipation of the light that is to come.

Come, celebrate the darkness of Advent with me.

For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace
-      Isaiah 9:6 (NKJV)





If you enjoy my blog and would like to follow me on Facebook, I can be found at The Reluctant Survivor. And on Twitter @relucsurvivor.

1 comment: