Saturday, August 31, 2013

Goals

I have never made New Year resolutions because I know they are never kept. However, I like the idea of setting goals. This year I find myself setting goals throughout the year. In January I set the goal to walk one mile a day, six days a week on my treadmill as part of my “training” for the Avon Walk. I also set the goal to write one blog post a week. Last year I had set a goal to lose weight, which I did. So I set another weight loss goal. I also set the goal to keep track of the books I read this year.

What is interesting about setting those goals is that later on in the year I found myself setting other goals. I set the goal to read a Psalm a day.

So how have I done? Well, in the short-term perspective I have failed. And failed miserably. But today I took inventory and this is what I found.

In January I walked a mile (or more) a day on my treadmill; six days a week. I accomplished my goal, but at a price. I developed plantar faciitis and have had to modify my “workout” routine so that I do not reinjure my heel. In the short-term I have failed. However, upon reflection I now easily walk two miles at a time so I’ve been increasing my cardio level. Rather than going for longer distance I’ve increased the pace or incline. As a result, when I recently took a hike with some friends I found that I did not tire or get winded as I have in the past. I was able to thoroughly enjoy our walk, while chatting about various things in our lives and observations along the path.

I have also continued to lose weight, which gives me more energy. I have worked in some yoga routines, which have improved both my flexibility and my core strength. No, I’m not walking a marathon every weekend. And I’m not following the Avon training guide. But I know that I am physically more fit this year than I was last or the year before. In fact, my fitness level is better than it was when I was first diagnosed with cancer.

I haven’t posted every week, but sometimes I’ve written two or three posts in one week because I have something to say. As it turns out, I’m right on track for writing 52 posts (or more) this year.

I’ve been keeping track of the books I’ve read this year on Goodreads. I’m a slow reader, but so far I’ve read 13 books this year; I’m almost finished with #14. I’ve read some fantastic books. And I’ve read through the Book of Psalms. I will confess that I didn’t always read one a day. Sometimes I had to make up for a missed day or weekend by reading two a day. I kind of lost track, but I stuck with it and now I’m reading Proverbs a chapter a day.

I’ve learned that setting goals is a good thing. It helps keep me on track. But I’ve also learned that I should not be hard on myself if I don’t reach my goals in exactly the way I set out to accomplish them. The truth is: I will get there. So set some goals, and don’t be afraid to fail. After all, courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.” [Mary Anne Radmacher].

1 comment:

  1. Goals are good things. I know you will do awesome on the Walk.

    ReplyDelete