About Me

My photo

I am a wife, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, a cousin & a best friend. I am a poet, a lawyer & a survivor. I've learned that God will give you a second chance.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Keep Your Bra On






October 13 is Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day. It is not “No Bra Day.” It is Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day.






I do not object to the Pink Ribbon campaign. I even like the silly team names at the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. What I do not like is trivializing someone’s pain and suffering. Here are some things you need to know about metastasized (Stage IV) breast cancer:
  • Metastasis occurs when cancer cells spread to a vital organ.
  • Breast cancer metastasizes to the bones, liver, lungs, and brain most often, but can spread to any region of the body.
  • An estimated 155,000 Americans are living with metastatic breast cancer and approximately 40,000 people will die this year from metastatic breast cancer.
  • Treatment for metastatic breast cancer is lifelong and focuses on control of the spread of the disease and quality of life.
  • Approximately 6% to 10% of breast cancer diagnoses are Stage IV right from the beginning.
  • Metastatic breast cancer can occur up to 15-20 years after the initial diagnosis.
  • Of those diagnosed with early stage breast cancer, 20% -30% will develop metastatic breast cancer.
  • Breast cancer is not just a disease of post-menopausal women. Young people and men can be diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer.
  • There are different types of metastatic breast cancer. Treatment choices are determined by the type of breast cancer, location and extent of the metastasis, and previous treatments.
  • While metastatic breast cancer is not an automatic death sentence, most people will ultimately die of their disease.

I rarely get riled up about an issue, but I had a colleague die from metastatic breast cancer. I have a friend who is currently living with and being treated for metastatic breast cancer. I don't see how going braless shows support; especially on this particular day. So do me a favor and KEEP YOUR BRA ON.
If you enjoy my blog and would like to follow me on Facebook, I can be found at The Reluctant Survivor.

2 comments:

  1. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comSeptember 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM

    Hello Heather,

    I hope all is well. I wanted to let you know about this great resource Healthline has about breast cancer. The resource includes a virtual tour on understanding the progression of breast cancer, from where it starts to how it affects the body.

    You can see the guide here: http://www.healthline.com/breast-cancer/anatomy-animations#1/breast-cancer-where-it-starts

    I thought this would be a great resource for your site and wanted to see if you could include it on your page: http://reluctantsurvivor.blogspot.com/2013/10/keep-your-bra-on.html

    Please let me know if this would be possible. I’m happy to answer any questions as well.

    Thanks so much,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    About Us: corp.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Heather I just saw the comment above looks like you have some attention. Great post.

    ReplyDelete