Monday, May 26, 2014

Redefining Myself


When I was first diagnosed with breast cancer I was in denial, and yet I was overwhelmed with a sense of peace. I felt a protection that left me with a sense of calm that nothing was wrong; this was just something that I had to go through. I truly believe I was blessed with healing and health, and I thought that I wanted to share this as my story. But it never happened. As a result of wanting to share my story I started this blog.
Instead of sharing what I thought was my message of healing and hope, I have learned more about breast cancer. The fact is that one size does not fit all. I have learned the reality of my own diagnosis and realize that I am not off base in feeling blessed. And I have said “yes” to situations that I never imagined would come my way.
I have shared how I became involved with the Avon Foundation and the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. This upcoming weekend I will walk in my fourth Walk. It has become a passion and a goal to walk in each city where the Walk is hosted. After this weekend I will have walked in half of them.
This year is especially meaningful for me because the Avon Foundation has committed to funding research projects that are specifically related to metastatic breast cancer. No, I have not been diagnosed with a recurrence or metastatic breast cancer. But my friend Linda is dying. And I have been part of her transportation team. I never imagined I would find myself in this place. The truth is that cancer kills.
Recently I have seen postings by people who offer a false hope. Their message is that God healed them through some miraculous diet and you, too, can be healed. These websites make me angry. It is not that I do not believe in God’s grace and healing touch. I do. But to tell someone that all they have to do is have enough faith, and they can be healed is false and misleading. Part of me wants to call them out as hacks on social media. However, that is not fair. They truly believe in their miracle, and I hope they are not disappointed in 15 to 20 years.
I now know that I do not want to be that person. I want to be realistic. The truth is I am fortunate. I was diagnosed with Stage I triple negative breast cancer, which is almost unheard of. I did not have a recurrence in 36-48 months. I have just passed my six years after treatment date. (My oncologist measures my progress based on when I finished treatment).
Mine is still a story of healing and hope. The hope I now share is the hope of God’s grace.



If you enjoy my blog and would like to follow me on Facebook, I can be found at The Reluctant Survivor. And on Twitter @relucsurvivor.

3 comments:

  1. Love you girlfriend! I know we were talking on this topic on our walk recently, but I agree with you! You know my approach. "Tell me what I have to do next!" I will not look to the end until I have taken all the steps! For better or worse, each road must be taken one step at a time. I continue to keep Linda and her family in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for healing and for peace as they walk this difficult road ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend. Our recent conversation helped me define what went into this post. You know the right thing at that right time. And I particularly love your perspective and approach. I remember you telling me you weren't going to plan my funeral back in 2007. Love you!

      Delete
  2. Blessings on your walk!! Your story is one of God's grace and truth.

    ReplyDelete