Thursday, June 28, 2012

These Things I Know


I know that every woman is an individual.
I know that every diagnosis is as unique as every woman.
I know that friends are God’s way of saying “I love you.”
I know that when you are feeling lost, alone and in the darkest place imaginable the Universe reaches out and surrounds you with what feels like a big, soft down comforter. And somewhere, deep inside, you hear the words “Be still and know that I am God.”
I know that a mother’s love is boundless.
I know that a cat who is normally arrogant and stand-offish will suddenly become your Florence Nightingale.
I know that because you are a woman you are the most courageous person in the world.
I know that it is ok to cry.
I know that when life has brought you to that lowest point possible, you must say to your best friend, “I need you.”
I know that sometimes, love is an unintended consequence.
I know that this journey is full of wonder and miracles.
I know all these things and more.
Just ask me.

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful poem. Loved sharing it with my church. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Heather. Thanks for sharing this journey.

    ReplyDelete