Saturday, September 29, 2012

Girlfriends


I recently went on a trip to French Lick, Indiana. My husband and I take an annual trip where we meet a group of friends who are from all over the world. Yes, it’s a club; similar to a cycling club or car club. We got together for the first time because of a mutual interest and hobby. Now it’s like a family reunion without the crazy uncle. Well, actually, there is a crazy uncle or two but we love them just the same.

Over the years the ladies have become a close-knit group of our own. I often hear the men wonder what the women will do while they are off on their own adventures. It really doesn’t matter because where ever we are, we make our own fun.

We laugh together, and play, and gossip. And we know each other’s secrets. We embrace the here and now. We celebrate who we are today and who we are together. These women have become my sisters.

Soon after my return home I had a visit from a dear friend. We’ve known each other for 20 years, but had not seen each other in four. There was a lot to catch up on. Like several of my lifetime friends, distance (whether time or geography) does not change the friendship.

These two events got me thinking about my girlfriends. There is a special bond among women who are true friends. All of them have been there for me in my time of need. I could pick up the phone or send an email to any one of them and they would arrive at my doorstep as soon as humanly possible. I am blessed to have a life full of such special friends.

So today I stop, and pause, and say “thank you” to my girlfriends who are my love, my life, and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment