Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Again


At the end of 2012 I decided not to make New Year resolutions, but rather to look at what I want to accomplish in 2013 and set monthly goals. One of the things I’ll be doing in 2013 is the Avon Walk. This year the team is headed to San Francisco in September. So, my goal for January was to walk one mile per day, six days a week (on my treadmill). I accomplished that goal; even walking “further” on some days. However, in my quest to meet that challenge and, yes, be that good, I strained my left heel. It started bothering me in week four, and I believe I added to the strain by pushing some limits with various yoga poses and some tai chi.
For February I set a goal of walking 7.5 miles per week; a little bit more than January’s goal. I managed to walk a mile a day the first week of February, but by week two it was clear that I needed to take a break. I needed to rest my heel and well, heal. After a few days off the treadmill, with the aid of an ankle ace bandage made by Dr. Scholl’s and some new gel inserts made by the same good doctor I tried again only to realize I really needed a full week off from training. I tried again with a half mile one day and a half mile a few days later. No good.
This seems to happen every time I set out to “train” for an event. I know I’m not an athlete, but I can’t imagine that others have these problems. Or maybe they do, and I just never hear about them. I sometimes question myself. Why do I always seem to get hurt? Why do I have to take things so slowly? Why is the “training schedule” too much for my body? Or is it just me? Do others have similar experiences? Are they able to work through the strain? All I know is that it is time to rethink my pace and not get discouraged with negative self-talk.
So I took last week completely off from the treadmill and did some yoga a few days. I found a wonderful video entitled “Sunrise Yoga” on YouTube. Doing the same practice over and over makes it easy to really learn the routine. Plus I have a good gauge of how I’m doing; where I’m making progress. I’m also realizing how tight my hamstrings and calves have become.
Today my heel feels good; almost 100 percent. Of course I want to get right back on that treadmill, but I’ve decided that my heel needs to feel this way for a day or two before I jump back into it. So I’ve set a new goal. Beginning March 1, I am going to walk a half mile every day, six days a week. No more. And see how that feels.
One of my favorite quotes is from Mary Anne Radmacher: Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying “I will try again tomorrow.” That is what I will do. I will try again tomorrow; starting March 1st.
 

4 comments:

  1. Good for you. Glad your heel is better. Good luck. Like the graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovey post Heather! I love that you're training for that,and that you have been so committed to the challenge! KUDOS in a major way! I know how it feels to get injured or have something go wrong when you're in the throes of preparing for something big...I think it may be the ol' self-sabotage (in the most sub-conscious of ways, of course!), in my case at least! I think yoga will really help you so much to streeeeetch and get really ready to rock that treadmill! And I adore the quote...courage does indeed = just sitting a couple rounds out sometimes... I'm rooting and cheering for you! :) Heal, heel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the quote by Mary Anne Radmacher! I think I'll adopt it, too.

    Stephanie Adams

    www.TearsInOurChili.com
    www.Facebook.com/TearsInOurChili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Stephanie. Yes, this quote is a wonderful one to adopt. I look forward to reading about it on your blog.

      Delete