Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Grace of Eggs

I walked into work one morning and found these eggs on my desk. I immediately knew who they were from, and had to laugh. My laughter was brought on by joy at so many levels. You see, the eggs were from my friend, and are her way of saying “thank you.” (Though she does not have to give me eggs for me to understand). I know she is thankful for our friendship, as I am of hers. But her “thank you” goes beyond mere friendship and that can never be repaid. Nor do I want her to even try. That’s what friends are for.

Eggs have a lot of meaning besides a kind gesture of thanks. Eggs are the beginning of life. Eggs are a symbol of Easter, and the coming of spring. Eggs are about fresh starts and new growth. In March we are going into spring, when it is a time of new growth. And this year, Easter is in March. I suppose I could write about any of these meanings of eggs and their symbolism, but I want to write about friendship.
My friend is going through a difficult time right now. She is the primary caregiver to her mom, who was recently diagnosed with metastasized, Stage IV breast cancer. I know what it’s like to be diagnosed with breast cancer. And I understand the fear of the unknown. What I don’t understand is what it is like to be a terminal patient’s caregiver. I don’t know what it’s like to be diagnosed with more cancer – of any kind. There is nothing I can do for her or her mom, other than be her friend. (And I would be her friend whether she was facing this challenge or not).
I was fortunate to receive healing. I am coming up on five years post-treatment. I have educated myself about breast cancer and the various diagnostic indicators. Each diagnosis is unique. Each treatment is unique. We share some of the same experiences. And yes, even chemotherapy can be funny. I cannot say to a recently diagnosed woman, “oh, you’re going to be fine because of . . .” That’s not true. I can only offer hope. I can quote statistics. But remember, if 70% have a positive outcome it means 30% did not.
Beyond that, I can share my story. My story is one of healing and hope. It is also a story of grace. It is about finding God’s grace along the way. Whatever you are facing God will meet you. He takes us in His arms whether we are scared and broken, or full of joy and life. What I offer my friend is the invitation to ask for grace. You don’t need to go looking for it. You don’t need to be in the “right place” to find it. You don’t need to “do something” for it to arrive. If you ask for it, it will find you.
And that’s what these eggs mean to me. They are full of grace, and friendship, and love. Be blessed.


If you woiuld like to follow me on FaceBook, I can be found at The Reluctant Survivor.

 

7 comments:

  1. Awesome! I will not look the same at an egg again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was you and Debbie who told me that an egg is like God. The three elements: the yolk, the whites, and the shell make the whole egg. Just like the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit make the whole God. I will never forget that analogy.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing another heart-warming story. I learned that analogy about the egg and the Trinity YEARS ago as well!

    I'm so glad you have been able to recover and tell your story to help others.

    I think this is the first year for quite awhile that Easter has fallen in March; ironically, my birthday (3/29) has been on Easter Sunday only three times in almost 55 years. It's strange how some holidays become assigned to different dates!

    Thanks again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this story Heather! I have never thought of eggs in that way, but what a perfect and meaningful gift! And I love, "...if you ask for it, it will find you." Just being open to accepting grace into your life changes everything, doesn't it? Thank you for this lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sentiments. It's good you're able to be there for your friend, a way to repay the universe for blessing you with a second chance. Its even better that you recognize and appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a great friend and what a wonderful message. Your friend is very lucky to have you to lean on when she needs support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. I will have a better appreciation of eggs...and grace...from now on. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete